Wednesday, October 8, 2003

FAQ-

"Are you a real chef"? 

 Technically, no.  Here's my story...  In high school, my parents wouldn't allow me to leave school early, unlike so many of my friends who only had to take a few classes to meet their requirements, so I found myself with several periods in which to either spend in study hall, or independent studies.  Well, since I'd taken all the home ecconomics, (cooking~NOT sewing), courses availible my first three years, I decided to spend three hours a day in independent study in the home ec kitchen.  I was in charge of ordering all food and supplies for the department, teaching the boy's class,  and inventing recipes, as well as cooking whatever and whenever I wanted.  When it came time to consider college, I begged my parents to send me to culinary school, but they demanded that I go get my liberal arts degree first, and then persue cooking.  So- a year and a half into majoring in Telecommunications at a local, private college, I just couldn't take it anymore, so I dropped out of school, and went to work at the Indiana Repertory Theatre, so that I could afford my own apartment and become independent.  It was then that I decided that I could learn the culinary trade from the ground up, so I spent many hours with the beverage manager of the Theatre, learning about liquors, wine, and beer.  Shortly thereafter, I got a job as a cocktail waitress at the restaurant next door, and embarked on my new career.  I didn't spend much time "cocktailing", because I kept getting in trouble for spending too much time in the kitchen, talking to the chef, so I leaped on the opportunity to join the staff of a new restaurant in town as a food server.

(I have to continue this in another entry, since AOL is hateful and won't allow me to exceed 2500 words)....

No comments: