Thursday, October 30, 2003

I'm the Ultimate Survivor

Today was my dreaded stint as "Parent Helper" in my daughter's preschool class.  Typically this job is difficult enough, as this is the world-centers-around-me age, but considering that today was the Halloween party and parade, my work was cut out for me with safety scissors.  As the helper, your child is the class leader that day, and they get to stand up front with the teacher and help with the calendar, etc.  Well, Alex is painfully shy, and when asked what today's date was, she didn't respond, so the teacher repeated the question, which caused Alex to burst into tears~ which in turn caused ME to cry, too.  This is only 5 minutes into class.  After that, the children got to parade through the school, (our church), and go into each of the other classrooms show off their costumes, (5 Disney princesses, 2 pirates, 1 cat, 1 dog, a ninja, a cowboy, a devil, a witch, and a cow), so when we get to the two-year-old room, Jacob sees Alex and me, then throws a fit because he has to stay put.  Finally, we return to the classroom, where we have to help these children change out of their costumes and into their clothes, (argh!), then proceed to have a snack, (5 spilled drinks), make skeletons, (glue everywhere), and have playtime.  I had to break up 4 fights over toys, console a little girl who was crying for no apparent reason, then clean up after all of the mayhem. The only good thing about this day is that I don't have to do it again for 6 more weeks.

Alex?  Overstimulated with excitement and candy.

Me?  I want my Mommy and I need a nap!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow - what a feat! LOL great entry! It's been too quiet around here w/o you. Again, have to say...glad to have you back! xo