Tuesday, March 30, 2004

She Really is Trying to Kill Me

My parents recently returned from a vacation in the Southwest U.S. and Mexico.  Mom brought me several souvenirs, including a giant bottle of Danncy vanilla from a shop in Mexico. I was a little wary of it, so I researched this brand online, (props to Tuna's  boyfriend), and found that it contains a substance called coumarin.  It's a little compound found in RAT POISON.  Um, thanks mom.

Many Mexican brands are safe, but be sure to check the lables on any Mexican vanilla you might have.  This page gave me some good info.

Thank goodness I still have plenty of vanilla beans left from the last time my folks went to Tahiti!

Between this and the fish sticks, I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on mother.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YIKES, thanks for that info because I just brought back a 250ml bottle of Armando's Mexican Natural Vanilla, from a cruise to Mexico. I read that link about the mexican vanilla that you posted, and although this bottle says it doesn't contain coumadin, it fits the description for the fake stuff....dark/murky, and only 10% alcohol. I ain't gonna bake nooooo cookies with that! LOL...Lisa @ Wearin' My Heart on My Sleeve

Anonymous said...

Good Lord!
Mary