Thursday, February 5, 2004

I went to Aldi today.  I don't usually shop there, but I decided to give it a whirl, since I needed milk and and some food, but didn't feel like dragging the kids into Meijer or Super Target.  That takes time and energy that I just couldn't spare today. 

So, back to Aldi.  I had to sift through my purse to find a quarter, because they charge you a deposit to use a shopping cart.  That is a new concept to me, and although I don't hate it, it is just another thing that you have to remember in advance when shopping at Aldi.  Like remembering to take your own boxes or bags. I once spent $80.00 there, only to find that they didn't have any empty boxes to spare, and I'd forgotten to bring bags, so I had to tote my items individually to the car and into my house. Yeah, eighty bucks worth of canned goods loose in my car.  I still occasionally find a can of french-style green beans or something under one of the seats.   But today, I left the store in triumph.  I successfully remembered to take enough bags;  I was able to get my quarter deposit back; And, I left there with the satisfaction that you can only get from buying 36 packages of ramen noodles for $1.39.

No comments: