Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Another happy cat story

Yesterday Lonny, my kids, and I took another road trip to Ohio, so that he could pick up some stuff that his dad has been storing for a long time.  The 3 hour trip there was happily uneventful, since the kids napped most of the way.  I was a little worried about the return home, since the kids had already napped, and it was too dark for them to look at books or color.  I really didn't want them to fall asleep on the way back, because I wanted them to go to bed when we got home.  Anyhoo~ Once we got there, we let the kids play for a while, while we looked through boxes of old albums and beer cans.  Lonny packed as much into the car as he could, and made note of a few things that we would need to get at another time.   So, as I'm getting the kids ready to get back into the car, Lonny informs me that his stepmom just gave him a kitty, and he'd really like to take it home.  Okay~ let's review this.  The car is already PACKED full of boxes, car seats, children, and what-not, and now Lonny wants to throw a kitty into the mix.  I had visions of kitty going crazy during the trip and shredding us all to bits.  The plan was that I would hold kitty in my lap, and wrap him in my coat if he went psyco. 

Well, the plan didn't exactly work like it was supposed to.  Surprisingly, it was a great ride home.  Kitty was perfect.  Kitty was wonderful.  Kitty entertained my children all the way home.  For THREE hours.  My daughter was in heaven, because kitty spent most of the trip in her lap.  I told Lonny that no matter where we go from now on, the kitty must go, too.  When Lonny dropped the kids and me off at our house, I prepared a fresh litter box, a toy, and some catnip as a little welcome home present for kitty's new house.  Lonny drove off, with kitty sitting on top of the back seat, purring happily.   I've been urging him to get a cat for years, so I am very pleased.  This one is too cute, and obviously well-behaved.  Lonny followed my suggestion to call him Maverick, against Alex's wishes to call him Neeup.

I think I'm going to have to go for a little visit later.  

No comments: