Friday, November 7, 2003

Happy Birth Day

Today I am celebrating Jacob's birthday, yet mourning the death of my red, white, and  yellow(!)  impatiens.  Nothing can be done for them at this point, except to mulch over the soggy bits and to pray that the cuttings from the yellow variety will thrive on my windowsill until spring.  Surprisingly, my morning glories, nasturtiums, marigolds and geraniums are still perky and full of blossoms.  This weekend I will dig up the dahlia tubers to go live in my fridge's vegetable bin, (along with the sweet potato vines that bit it last month), and I will pull up the geraniums, put them in a noose, and hang them in the garage attic until some time next summer when I remember that they're there.  The mini geraniums, heather, cat grass, dracaena, and various ivies that I potted up a few weeks ago are thriving in my living room, even though the cat grass is slowly turning to stubble, since my cats have claimed it as their own.  Sigh.  I have nothing to do now, except stare out the window and wait for spring. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Wishes! In the Armenian tradition (I'm not one, but we have friends who are), you have a series of toasts on a birthday in this order:
1. A toast to the parents -- Here's to Grace! *clink*
2. A toast to the birthday person -- Yay Jacob!! Gimme a sippee cup! *clink*
3. A toast to grandparents and extended family
4. A toast to friends and acquantances.
Have a great celebration -- What is Jacob getting for his birthday?
~~Green Tuna

Anonymous said...

Wow. Lots of November babies around here. Happy Birthday Jacob - Dancing Baby Kisses for you too! Mwaaaaaah!