Monday, November 24, 2003

This weekend was beautiful!  It was warm!  We wore shorts!  We frolicked outside!

Today it is cold.  It is snowing.  We are bundled up.  It bites ass.

This should be a fun week, though, regardless of the weather.  My Mom turns 70 tomorrow, and we are going out for a nice dinner.  Then Wednesday night,  Lonny and I are going to a party, and ,of course, Thurday is Thanksgiving.  On some years my Mom's birthday falls on Thanksgiving Day, which I would hate if I were her.  It's bad enough to grow older, but then you have to bear all of the turkey jokes, too. Plus, with all that food around, she usually doesn't get a special cake.  We just stick a candle in the pumpkin pie and call it another year. 

My weekend was very uneventful, but at least the weather was nice.  At church yesterday, my Mom had to say a small part during a choir program, and the last line was "with dignity and grace".  My daughter practically yelled "Mom~ Grandma's up there talking about YOU!"  Everyone around us cracked up.  It was one of those  kids-say-the-darndest-things moments.  Not an embarrassing one, like the last time she was loud when she informed me, and everyone else, that she didn't like the prayer at church because it was too boring.   Ahh the joy of children.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Grace. This is why I *heart* you. You understand the pain of a Turkey-Day birthday. *sigh* Me? I was born 4-days after JFK was shot. Nothing like growing up with no birthday parties, surrounded by relatives you don't necessarily like, and having everyone say "(10 years ago .. 11 years ago ..) JFK was shot" Mayhaps this explains many of my .. oh .. personality quirks? Ha! ..hahahahehehehehe.. HAPPY TURKEY DAY, EVERYONE! ~TVJ~

Anonymous said...

My birthday's right after Christmas. Everyone's all tired & over buying presents & over being in the celebratory spirit. So either they forget or they're all half-assed about celebrating the day I was born. Or else they conveniently combine my presents and try to pass them off as Christmasbirthday presents. Um, NO! Separate presents for separate occasions, buddy! Heh. Then there's my poor husband, whose birthday is on Christmas Day. He says he never felt bad about it though. We

Anonymous said...

Great entry Grace - such wit. Thanksgiving Birthday...bummer! Can't imagine. I don't even like sharing my birthday weekend with Memorial Day! Cute about your daughter...she gives you some great material. What a joy laughter is!!