Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Cheese Head

As a treat to mysef today, I went to the market to get some fresh spinach, tomatoes, and goat cheese to make one of my favorite pasta dishes.  After selecting the perfect ingredients, I took my items to the cashier.  The cashier, a boy in his teens, picked up my package of goat cheese and said, "Uh, Ma'am, is this cheese?".  I said, "yes, it's goat cheese."  He replied, "well, I don't think you want this one, it's all moldy."  I explained to him that the cheese was not covered in mold, it was actually a layer of ash.  The look on his face suggested that perhaps mold would have been the lesser of two evils.  I suggested he sample some goat cheese sometime in the future, to which he commented that the only kind of cheese he ever ate was American.

Now, I know that I will offend a few people with my belief that American cheese should not be allowed to even be called cheese.  I find the flavor more akin to Silly Putty.  I have an entire package of individually-wrapped singles that have been sitting in my refridgerator for over a year now, because even my kids won't touch the stuff. 

 I guess I know what a certain cashier will be getting for Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Maybe you could buy that cashier some GENERIC cheese food product for the holidays. I read your blog everyday, thanks to GreenTuna. Go forth and educate food heathens everywhere about the merits of cheese!