Wednesday, December 24, 2003

It's still Christmas Eve in the City

[Heavy Sigh]

Here's what happened....

I went to a party at Lonny's last night.  As everyone gathered in the kitchen, (as people always do~ why is that?) I gave Lonny the Christmas presents I'd brought.  One of the presents was a candle.  Lonny gave me a look, and commented to everyone that he doesn't burn candles because he's paranoid that one of his friends, (or his cat), will set the place on fire. I told Lonny that he wasn't hosting one of his "wild" parties, and that no one would get hurt if he lit it.  He gave in.   A few moments later, I was standing near the festive flame, and asked anyone who would listen if they liked my hair since Lonny cut it last week.  As I'm talking, I reach across the counter, (NOT over the candle, just kinda near), and flames raced up my sleeve and into my hair.  Lonny was the first to react, and started beating me with his palms.  I ran, (naturally), to the sink, where I doused myself with the faucet sprayer.  People were screaming and pointing at this point.  Quietly, I turned, took the scissors into the bathroom and proceeded to hack off the singed bits.  What was left was a damp, stinky mess.  I was not hurt, but Lonny is not pleased that I totally ruined the masterpiece haircut he gave me last week, and that I didn't listen to him about candles in the first place.  Though, he did have fun at my expense for the rest of the evening. 

After some investigating we determined, by the singe pattern on my sweater,  that the flame ignited the perfume I stupidly put on my sweater instead of my skin before I left the house.  The 100% cotton sweater, (thankfully black), is fine.  The candle?  In the trash.

Looks like I'll be sporting a hat on Christmas Day. Or a wig.

Damn karma.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy, Grace! I'm happy to hear that you weren't hurt, but holy shite, that is skeery.

Thanks for your kind e-mail. I'm glad you found us too! Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and I am so glad you were not injured or disfigured.

With love, Mary

Anonymous said...

PICTURES! I want pictures! Makes you wonder why some women wear perfume, doesn't it? If it's gonna act as a flame conductor, why put it on our skin? Just a question. Two words: essential oils :) Love you Grace! REALLY GLAD to hear you are okay - big scare! Sorry about your hair...but it'll grow! Always does! [in case you already forgot, here's a friendly reminder: pictures!]

Anonymous said...

You're the second person I know this year who set her hair on fire at a holiday party. Is this a new fad going around? Because I'd just as soon skip it. I'm glad you're okay, hon, and I hope you have a very merry.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're ok, Grace! Lonny will just have to give you a new fabulous cut cuz it's cheaper than a lawsuit....having dangerous candles and all. Hee.