Monday, December 22, 2003

Rx

I went to the drugstore today, and after selecting my 3 items, I went to the cashier. I was feeling pretty lucky, since there was only one person in front of me.  Sadly, I was mistaken, as this woman had 5 loaves of bread, 4 gallons of milk, and an assortment of other foodstuffs that she was obsessing over.  She asked the cashier if it looked like she had more than $35.00 worth of stuff in her cart, and the cashier said, " I don't know, I'll have to ring it up in order to know for sure".  So, the lady begins to put her items on the counter, verrrry slowly, as the cashier scans each item.  At the end, the cashier told the lady her total, and she started complaining about the total cost.  (Um, perhaps it would be cheaper to buy your groceries at the grocery store.)  About this time, another employee realizes that a long line had formed, and that the Grocery Lady was going to be there a while.  So, the 2nd cashier said, "I can help the next person in line", and as I started to wheel my cart over, the lady behind me sprints over to the availible cashier, totally disregarding the Next Person In Line rule.  So, instead of gently pointing out to her that I was next in line, I said to her, from behind, "Excuse me, but I just noticed that your wig is crooked~ I didn't notice it until you cut in front of me.  Just thought you'd want to know."  She didn't say anything, but quickly exited the store.  The cashier was smiling, until I told her that I felt it was partially her fault, because she saw that I was the next person in line, and she should have insisted on helping me first.  As I paid for my purchase, I looked over at the first cashier, who exchanged eye-rolls with me, because the Grocery Lady was still there, asking where she could stash her bags, because she just realized that she missed some items on her list, and would need an empty cart.   I left the store, feeling frustrated by the entire situation, guilty for saying what I did, and relieved that I don't work in retail.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww Grace. Sit back, have a hot toddy and relax. But HEE...I loved the comeback. I'm evil that way :)
~~GreenTuna

Anonymous said...

If you're guilty about this, then I'll have to be guilty about jumping up and down on my floor above my noisy neighbors to give them the message the volume level of their music was RUDE, at ANY hour. I'm not gonna be guilty.

Anonymous said...

Can't say I wouldn't have reacted the same way. I've been there! Lately though, I've been laughing in situations like these. Strange. The bank. Smart & Final. My fave coffee shop. It's been my knee-jerk reaction these days...bursting into laughter. Hmm...wonder how long it'll last :)

Anonymous said...

When I grow up, I wanna be juuuuust like Grace. ;-) Hee. (Your wig is crooked...hahaha) Too funny.

Anonymous said...

Clearly, you're so slim that the woman simply didn't see you standing there in line in front of her. There's just no way that she'd have intentionally jumped in line in front of you. Your comment was quite reserved in my opinion...guilt be gone. You didn't mention anything that the Fab Five wouldn't have pointed out. I may have opted for something along the line of "Happy Frickin Holidays, Biatch".

Anonymous said...

Quick thinking...that lady deserved a little jab. It's like polar opposite frustrations. One is sooooooo slow, and the other is just too darn pushy. Oh well, all you can do is try to find the humor in it. Thanks for sharing.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Bwah, Grace! Hilarious. Don't feel guilty -- you did what all of us have wanted to do, or say, in that situation. *raises fist in Grace's honor*