Monday, December 1, 2003

World AIDS Day

Today is World AIDS Day.  I have lost several friends to AIDS, all gay men, all in the prime of their life.  I've watched many suffer for months, slowly losing their health, their life-force, their minds.  Others have passed quickly, without much warning, without months of suffering.  I still know several people with AIDS.  One is my sister-in-law who was  infected years ago by her ex-husband, and the other is her 6 year-old son who contracted the virus in utero.  They have good days and they have bad days.  Both are on medication which sometimes causes side effects that seem worse than the virus itself.  A cure for AIDS cannot come soon enough.

I am remembering these people today in my thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Gracie,

I remember reading Elizabeth Glaser's book (probably about 10 years ago), and I wept like a baby with the cruelty of it all.

They're in my thoughts as well.