Friday, December 19, 2003

Food Friday

Many of you participate, or are aware of, Photo Friday.  I always enjoy viewing the photos that people post, but personally, I have not participated in taking or posting pictures.  My newest endeavor is to post a recipe or food-related entry each Friday.  Food is one of my passions, and I hope you enjoy what I have to share. 

Today's recipe is Lemon Bread.  It is a quick bread recipe that many of my family and friends request that I make.  I love to make baked gifts around the holiday season, and this one is simple and delicious.  Make a loaf to give, and make a loaf to enjoy with some hot tea.

Lemon Bread- makes one loaf

1 1/2 C. flour   

1 C. sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs

1/2 C. milk

1/3 C. vegetable oil

rind of 1 lemon, grated

Lemon Glaze-( juice of 1 lemon, 1/3 C. sugar )

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Stir dry ingredients together.  In separate bowl, blend wet ingredients and lemon rind.  Mix wet and dry mixtures together, just until blended.  Pour into greased loaf pan.  Bake 45 minutes, (test with a toothpick.)  Prepare Lemon Glaze by heating lemon juice and sugar in saucepan over medium heat until sugar is melted.   Poke holes all over bread with skewer, pour glaze over the loaf.  Cool for about 30 minutes, remove bread from pan, then allow to cool completely before wrapping.

Enjoy!

 

Edited to add~  You can add your own touch to the bread, as I many times do.  I've been known to throw in a handful of blueberries, poppyseeds, or whatever sounds good.  

                                                                    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Food Friday -- what an awesome idea!!
Anxiously awaits next week, and plans to whip up some
Lemon Bread. Yum Yum!
~~GreenTuna

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Gracie! Great feature! Am I allowed to steal it? (The idea, I mean. OBVIOUSLY I'm going to steal the recipe.)