Tuesday, January 6, 2004

Batteries Not Included

Note to everyone who gave my children toys that required batteries:

Nice try.

Those toys are now in a blissfully quiet heap, and the batteries are in a drawer, safely lying in wait until one of my remote controls needs some fresh power.

Why does EVERYTHING these days have to make noise?  Do toymakers feel that my daughter doesn't have enough imagination to make her Barbie talk?  Does the Barbie Townhouse really need a talking shower?  Hell, I don't even want MY shower to talk, let alone hers.  Do they think that my son needs a Blue's Clues Microphone to be heard?  Trust me, he doesn't need help.  Ask the neighbors.

People, (usually ones without children), think that I am cruel and unusual to take the batteries out of my children's toys.  To them I say~ Most of these toys work just fine without batteries, and I'd rather let my children create their own imaginary world than allow their wee brains to be turned to mush.

 

Next week~ Toys With More Than 5 Pieces, and a map to the local Salvation Army.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Hallelujah, and Preach On Sister! A Townhouse with a shower? The last times walls talked was in The Amityville Horror. Not. Good. Unfortunately, once you get past (if you ever get past) too-loud toys, the next battle is books with sound effects. "And then the Beast jumped back.....*boing!*"
~~GreenTuna

Anonymous said...

Hee. As a non-child-bearing Auntie of 2, and adopted Auntie of many .. I must confess. I give the gift of noisey toys that need batteries for one purpose. TO TORTURE THE PARENTS!

BWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anonymous said...

I can't figure out how to get the batteries out of these drums.....
:-)
Kat

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I remember our toys growing up didn't have all kinds of talking and noise ... we did our own using IMAGINATION! Imagine that! I was the same way, I wanted my kids to use imagination and be creative in what they did.
Monica