Friday, January 23, 2004

Lemon Bars

I am a choco-holic.  I always say  unless a dessert is chocolate, it isn't worth chewing. However, there are a few non-chocolate desserts that earn my praise, and this is one of them.  I first made this recipe in 8th grade home-ec class, and it has been in my recipe file ever since.  This is my most-requested dessert.

For the crust:

1 C. flour

1/4 C. powdered sugar

1/4 C. butter, melted

Mix flour and sugar, then add butter and blend well with fork.  Press into 8X8 pan.  Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.  (I turn oven down to 325 if using a glass pan).

For filling:

1 C. sugar

2 Tbs. flour

2 eggs

3 Tbs. lemon juice, (nothing beats fresh-squeezed)

1/2 tsp baking powder

Mix flour, sugar, and baking powder.  Add eggs and lemon juice, then mix well.  Pour over crust.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Cool.  Cut while slightly warm.  Dust top with powdered sugar.

Notes~  double ingredients for 13X9 pan.  You can make Key Lime Bars by substituting Key Lime Juice for the Lemon Juice.  I sometimes add a cup, or so, of fresh blueberries to the filling mixture for Blueberry-Lemon Bars.  I sometimes garnish the top with lemon zest after dusting with powdered sugar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. That made me drool! Sounds absolutely awesome.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that sounds sooo good! I have been racking my brain trying to think of a good dessert recipe, and I keep coming up empty. I've realized that I am a cheater. A good percentage of the things I make are from mixes. I feel so empty inside....

I think I'll go fill up that empty place with the brownie mix I bought today! Hee!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you - I can often skip the dessert if it's not chocolate...but I LOVE citrus desserts. Lemon and lime are so refreshing. I will try both these recipes! I love how some recipes just become your lifelong friends!